Re: No aldryami roots (;-) for Arkat ?

From: Osentalka <Osentalka_at_Fb8RmpgJRVDPScLWjwZhia46swIbCjHTwpyULcgm1JqZsp5chOZEBkGuugE722_IBc>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 23:28:35 +0200

> > The real world truth about the "was raised by the elves of brithos"
might
> > come from the fact, that the Brithini are the aloof people, that in
other
> > fantasy worlds the elves are. When Greg fist mentioned the "raised by
> > elves", he might not have had a detailed idea about the elves/aldryami
of
> > Glorantha.
> /// Interesting. That would rid us of some extra complication in Arkat's
life.
> Do you all agree with this one ? Do we get rid of Arkat's internship with
> aldryami ?

Sorry, but no.
I doesn´t matters for me what Greg thought we he wrote that bit. It matters for me that it is a fact, so that i would not be happy to see this deleted from Arkats biography, but i think that we have to find an explanation why Arkat was raised (at least some part of his childhood) by the elves/aldryami of Brithos (by the way: childhood can mean a much longer term for the Brithini, than for mortal people. As far as i remember 20, 25 or even 30 year old Brithini people might still be seen as children!).

> > I don´t see the "son of Humakt" bit as a fact.
> > Humakt is the father of Arkat in the same way that Natha is the mother
of
> > JarEel, or the same way that Broyan is a son of Orlanth.
> /// Yup, I agree with you on that one. Especially if we get rid of the
aldryami
> connection - Arkat was born a freak, but not the child of an invading
theist
> hero/demigod. Still wonder who his parents were though.

A lot of heroes have an intersting heritage (mother a royal princess, father a demi god, or the like), but i think Arkat is a hero because how he became (lived with elves, fought with Brithini against Seshnegi, fought with Seshnegi against Gbaji cultists, became an Orlanthi, became a Troll,...) than where he came from. I am not very much interested in his parents. An unknown Brithini women, and an unknown Brithini father are good enaugh for me. He wasn´t raised by them anyway...

Cheers

André