Re: The List of Argrath's summoned Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_k_MlW0cVtDMCaViqxCVB4C7Jn3NjUiralihrrzcQePiuavv54EHT2WVSExMMFuH8-1k>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:45:13 +1200

On 8/2/2010 9:42 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> Rightly or wrongly I understood the Alakorings to include both too.

Although the material is so thin any interpretation is possible, I'll put forward my own.

I don't think the Alakoringites include the Ralians. Sure Alakoring came from Ralios and they remember him fondly but the same is true of the Sartarites and the Volsaxi who are not Alakoringites. I doubt that the Talastari are Alakoringites either.

When Alakoring flew over the Rockwoods to Aggar, he went there not only to fight the Dragons but also to set up a new Orlanthi society, unencumbered by what he saw as the errors of the old. Lankst was quite happy to fight the Dragons but there were also entrenched interests and powerful rivals with exotic backing (God Learners, Arkati) who would do anything to hamper Alakoring's reforms and were all too happy to see the back of him. Delela was under Ingolf's protection and the Orlanthi lands further south were too savage for Ingolf's purposes and also too close to his enemies.

But an Elvish arrow cut short Alakoring's ambition and he never got to be as famous as Heort or even Harmast. He is as a result a would-be reforming hero of limited scope and having the Orlanthi of Ralios call themselves Alakoringites strains credibility I feel.

--Peter Metcalfe