Re: Why is there a holy country anyway ?

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_bx0irDQrqXYpB4vDRUFJqIqsWnXES28dyAv0hWqqCiaXVxRPN1PQNtck5zQz_U>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:12:20 -0000

My ideas of the Pharoah that are similar to Chris's:

Chris> I've always thought of the Pharaoh as being like the God-Emperor in the later
> books of the Dune series (without the wormy parts):

Although I would add in a big chunk of people like John Carter of Mars, and that other ERB guy who went to Pellicudar and created an Empire. Add in a dash of The Man Who Would be King. I guess the thing they have in common is that they arrive in the world without allies - as outsiders.

The other idea I have is a bit game rule based. The Pharoah is like a player character with very lucky rolls, or too many hero points. This is where Master of Luck comes from - his player just gets the rolls he wants. Hence his critical success swim roll to survive the ocean, kill the giant monster, divert rivers etc.

Keith