Re: Troll vision

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_TB_nEccs1_ntdyI2GmVCwhr9jujbXZ03GEBTDa-f4324MbgSBGhV78yyh-UOTqoh>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:31:11 -0000

Ian Borchardt :

> I've always been a fan of the Darksense actually being the ability to
> see using Dark rather than any other means, even if it is distinctly
> non-canon. With the element of Dark being Anti-Light. So a troll in
> my Glorantha sees the world as something like a black-and-white film
> negative (except with much more detail, and even it's own colours, in
> the white sections). [They refer to these colours by the same names as
> lightvisioned folk do; after all, it is the colour blue that actually
> teaches what "blue" is.]

I have thought about just such a possibility myself, but when i checked the info in Trollpak just didn't support it...

The info is specifically about their eyesight, and describes in some specifics what they can see.

My own *interpretation* of it is that they have three different receptors, as we do -- but instead of red/blue/yellow, they have light/heat/dark -- heat being basically the same as red.

Thing is though, blue and yellow are no part of their optics, so that there's no reason to think they can see them. Only a tiny minority of RW people can see into the UV, but those who can't cannot distinguish between UV and black.

Then again, colours in Glorantha don't necessarily work as in RW -- gold seems yellow to us, but uz would perhaps see it as being intensely red. ;)

Day-to-day this is of little consequence, the uz primary sense being their hearing/sonar. But it *does* add some RP possibilities if players can keep it in mind :)

But I do like the idea of blue being a black for them.

> There was a Tales of the Reaching Moon article which invoked the old
> Archimedian argument for why the Lozenge appears round. That is, the
> eyes effectively emit light to see, which immediately begins to ascend
> Skyward, so things appear to disappear beneath the "horizon," as they
> do on Earth.

That's. A. Very. Silly. Article. ... Cripes, really missing TotRM... :)

Julian Lord