Re: Unmanageable healers

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_cT3LZwnrbgRGhkGqZH74m2skc0VbNYZfkFRglU8ltdinX3BDs3WqfXBQG_aQdnLhv1Q>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 17:09:09 +0000

ryancaveney_at_mh6tAqEQkiClZq6B-Lyvue0EBG1lbpo1IfHN1QWIi_NIs4y8_oolmE-m_j7aSmTF87O6V8WHyTNpRQ6exWVQKg.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Ttrotsky wrote:
>
> > The key issue is that the germ theory isn't actually true
> > in Glorantha - disease really is caused by evil spirits
>
> I knew that was true for animists and theists, but is it also true for
> sorcerers? They might say unbalanced humors, but I thought they would
> think
> "evil spirits" was just more foolish pagan superstition, and would
> have some
> kind of purely materialist view which would be true for themselves --
> which is a
> practical reason for the (I had thought general) observation that
> sorcerers are
> good at curing sorcerous diseases but not animist ones, and vice versa...

They might say "evil essences" if it's a sorcerous disease, or "evil noncorporeal entity" is they aren't sure if it's a sorcerous disease or an animist one. And they might well say that the evil noncorporeal entities do their work by creating imbalances in your humours. But that doesn't mean that they think diseases are caused by physical entities, largely because they aren't (unless Glorantha has, say, tapeworms, I suppose).

The materialist view that sorcerers hold of the cosmos does not imply (as its modern counterpart often does in our world) that they think purely spiritual entities don't exist. The very fact that magic works implies that such things do exist, and it wouldn't be very logical to deny that. Nor are all noncorporeal entities necessarily evil in their worldview - although many are, and you certainly shouldn't worship any of them, or give them sacrifices!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/