Re: Your advice over my BoG campaign

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_-PlIPIao51SMIv399DiTkwkgTU0ENmmR0HGckDNgaoSkVxo9YM2jZMty0ByhtXR2vF>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 19:29:02 -0000

Just some quick thoughts.....

> After 25 games, and with the aim to close the Campaign in 6-7 more games, I am
> going to kill Prince Yorge. He's doomed. He'll go in Fay Jee's demesne to try to
> break it to his will and die. Then there will be the whole mess of succession to
> handle. At least that was the original plan.

Something for you to decide is whether Yorge thinks he is going to his death or not? That is, the quest is of course risky, but is he doing it in sincere hopes of succeeding (again), or is this a glorious way out of his situation?

If he believes he is going to his death, then no problem, he sends the heoes away on some errand to remove them from the city when he does this. This also gives the other parties seeking power after his death a chance to start putting their plans into play before the Will can be read. THEN the players can do their own quest** later on, to (hopefully) succeed and re-found the city and put a new ruler on a firm foundation. Possibly Yorge's quest was a partial success, leaving an important bonus to the players?

If he is planning this will all intention of succeeding, let the players convince him of why they should go….and then set the argument that it becomes apparent that they are in fact better suited to doing this quest than he is now, and he ends up asking them to perform the quest instead of him. However during the quest he will die (or be killed? Is the 'Far-Killer' still aiming for him?), disrupting the ceremonial support just when the quest was going so well. The players will be without some important ritual support, and the quest will start to veer away from the story they hoped to tell *. Being heroes they should manage to escape…but it will take some time. Again by the time they are actually back in the city other factions are already trying to grab power. They will probably have to go back and repeat the quest** at some point.