Re: Alynxes in Umathela?

From: David Dunham <david_at_X_ICCR4ncbiaG_AqUWSB_OcfF-Oaj1U8nYrgy3jf-xyHpB9XrNSZHaVDaQYBreRdvINzT8>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:51:18 -0700

On 15 Oct 2011, at 23:53, Jeff wrote:
>> It's entirely possible cows were imported, though they weren't present in the forests when I ran Umathela.

> Woodland grazing used to be surprisingly common. In coniferous forests (such as Enkloso) it can be done in a manner that is actually compatible with good forest management (even reduces the chance of fire). In decidious forests, it tends to be more destructive.

Fire is not necessarily a bad thing to some elves. Some trees require fire or smoke to propagate... (And in fact, IMG those trees were found in Vralos.)

> So my suspicion is that the Kormorkan tribe didn't raise cattle because they were forbidden to by the Vralos Forest Council back when they were under the Woodland Judgement. However, the coastal city folk likely do raise cattles. Further west, the Enkloso Woodland Council decreed how cattle are to be grazed in the pine forests.

On the other hand, if cattle were imported, the aldryami probably don't like them, and would ban them. Glorantha still has other megafauna to propagate plants. (Think about what sort of animal was supposed to eat an avocado whole and poop out the pit somewhere else!)

David Dunham