Re: A sense of scale

From: hcarteau_at_cdkHwIC9WW7sa4ghLjI4Vu1AerUaYkUrLiPmg9ZxJR0aM2uO807wd7dj8js_CHQI3dh
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:29:55 +0100 (CET)

Did you actually build parts of Glorantha a 1/72 scale or is it just a mental tool to keep respective sizes in mind ?

I like discussions on population densities, analogs to the real world, comparisons with Middle Earth, and all manner of Gloranthan discourse. My 1:72 scale comment was really making the point that it is useful to get a sense of how big things are. Jeff has done it by comparing the Lunar Empire with real Earth Empires. I did it for myself using a 1:72 scale to help me work out how big the Green Dragon is (very big)the Mother of Monsters (not so big) the Block, Big Rubble etc. In my head, I'm planning to make a scale model of the Caves of Chaos, which are really rather large.

There *are* things in Glorantha that make sense if you imagine it to be really small - Giant insects, giants like Gonn Orta, things like the Faceless Statue, hungry Jack as a pumpkin. Other things make sense if you imagine a table top game with some improvised game tokens - the chess piece defenders of the cradle, the D6 that flys in from the edge of the cosmos to knock down the Devil and become a landscape feature in Nomad Gods.