Re: A sense of scale

From: Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_FGjtWFwQailawRCR6cEfWS_8T3stiig1CzFcKTWDdC8_-2BYKEFb94An5LGV_UfA7gsL>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:39:41 +0100

On 11.11.2011 21:34, Jeff wrote:
>> My 2 cents to separate the wheat from the chaff.
>> Sorry, don't want to affront s.o., but needed to release some steam.
>
> Perhaps you don't want to affront, but telling other posters they "must possess a small mind" certainly does. If you need to "blow off steam" because some of the writers like to discuss issues like population numbers and distances, then perhaps you need to take a break.

It seems Jeff is right with this, and I want to apologise. Insults were not my aim. Small mind was way beyond what I meant to say. Little fantasy - or imagination - may be... and still this may be an insult. What I meant to say is, why don't we ALWAYS declare things to our players AS IF we knew? And by doing so, we DO KNOW. Do you think Middle Earth (sorry for mentioning a cliché here, just for clarity, as everybody knows...) would gain by knowing some more fact? How many Rohans? Gondorians? "Thousands, you say, Wormtongue?! TENTHOUSANDS I say!" Saruman claimed, and we knew how many Orcs he had.   Indeed, wouldn't it loose mystics instead, if we knew more figures? Wasnt't it for the very sound of the word TENthousands we shivered in awe. (Thinking more, we would know, so many Orcs could not have enough logistics to even do their march to Helm's Deep! But, we WERE NOT thinking more!) The way of a great story teller is not to tell you EVERYthing, but to tell you as much as you need to be fascinated.

And as for Greg, I know, Jeff, you know Greg very closely. But I still think he often is obliged to answer questions about "facts" much more than he is inclined to, just because he is questioned so much. Merely my thinking, not fact. Again.

Anyway, I still want to apologise to anyone who felt insulted. My point was to make you scheming instead of thinking, believing instead of knowing, "Knowing" in your heart instead of having facts.

Regards and regrets to those who feel offended Pomeroi

PS: Keith, your post just comes in while I write this. Thanks for clarifying.