Re: Thesim Initiates

From: donald_at_vz6_P8Dh8wD_21rpdjS0ZHpl7P8rZIPNkwbfJswzIr1HyvSDpDcARBNk-wajCeiP7noM-
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 23:54:15 -0000

Michael

> I have players coming from a D&D background where a cleric dosen't really have to
> do anything in game to be able to cast spells. I know that initiates have to spend at
> least 30% of there time devoted to their god. What does this involve?

A lot of it is covered by normal activities. Remember theism involves emulating your god(dess) so when you are doing things your god(dess) did it counts as devotion. It only becomes a problem when an initiate is unable to do their normal work (e.g. a farmer is away from their land).

> What does a temple look like? Is it like a church? One player is an initiate of Lhankor
> Mhy and the other of Yinkin.

In most clans the only proper temples will be to Orlanth and Ernalda. The Lhankor Mhy initiate will have an alcove or maybe a room where they keep a statue or carving and any books or scrolls they possess. Yinkin's will be even more basic, just a favourite spot with an image scratched onto a convenient wall, fence or tree.

Orlanth's temples are on hill or mountain tops. There will be one conveniently near the stead with a open space for men to gather. Probably some carved images and symbols on rocks or poles.

Ernalda's temples are within or very near the stead, square buildings often partially or wholly sunk into the earth. Again with statues or images although most are inside. On the outside guarding the entrance will be fierce looking axewomen identifable as Maran and/or Babeester Gor.

--
Donald Oddy