Re: Infinity, Stasis, Magic in S:KoH

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_uVgKMQ68v1aB1INiTKk6Yz91gX5Yv_bkhmfpDDAhZAKnUV9NZZQCk3XpGAmTc0rJyg>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 17:16:58 +0100

Phil Hibbs <snarks_at_EDsm6TDBP8pb6rmhacmboujfIOqBgfqP1U_JQ1bCgisfu4mwWoVi70MH7va1mYU8gJ6EQkoY.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Playing a character in a games are all about doing stuff and making changes
>in the world. Stasis, powerful though it may be, simply isn't something
>that gamers value.

Just to point out that in 'Lord of the Rings' Sauron is the agent of change. The good guys are fighting to preserve the existing order. In fact, it's made quite explicit that the powers of the Elves like Galadriel and Elrond are rooted in Stasis:

"Those who had [the Three Rings] in their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of the world. [...] Their power was ever at work, and where they abode there mirth also dwelt and all things were unstained by the griefs of time."

I think there's scope for an interesting game trying to preserve something valuable against the powers of Disorder and Chaos and Change that would try to destroy it or corrupt it, and Stasis magic can come in handy there.

Stephen