Re: How to introduce the elder races

From: hcarteau_at_...
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:42:14 +0100 (CET)

Monsieur Dawson has summed up the Elder Races very nicely (any chance to get this "Mostali No Verb" article somewhere ?)

Elves are goddam walking plants with sap in their veins. Their females give birth to... seeds, which they plant, and a baby elf sprouts a few seasons later. They eat only mulch and raw plants (No fire !) They feel/hear/vibrate to a Hive Mind they call the Song of Aldrya. Humans are meat people, a red race, seen as potential danger to the Forest.

Elves feel uneasy or go crazy in any different setting than their goddam forests : cultivated fields are too geometric, not natural enough, and cities are downright mad. They feel the pain of the cut trees in wooden buidlings.

Some aldryami are rootless. They can't hear, or hear poorly, the Song of Aldrya. They must, or are forced to, leave their forest. They are some of the saddest creatures in Glorantha.

Mostali don't talk to humans, except if one of their Gold Caste members has something to request from (order) them. Backed with a lot of Iron Caste mostali with iron armor, battle axes, crossbows and sometimes guns and grenades. "Bring back eleven red parrot feathers here two weeks or we burn village".

Some mostali are malfunctioning. Some actually find their way out of their underground cities and some of them even manage to survive in the surface world. But these lose their immortality (did we say mostali are immortal?)

There's only one way I found to handle Dragonewts : EVERY TIME a PC wants to interact with one of them, I roll a D20 in front of everybody. 1 is very good for the PC, 20 is very bad. This happens for EVERY SENTENCE / BLOW / LOOK. It makes the players verrrry careful before engagin a dragonewst, they do it only when very desesperate.

Some dragonewts are flawed and cannot see/understand/percieve/dance with the Dragon. Some of them more or less try to integrate with other races, with very unpredictable results. Some mutate to base dinosaurs, or something else.

My core message : if you want to show some exotism without bothering with a whole alien society, make the players meet a misfit. What's best is they'll think they know all about race X because one of them was a "buddy" (not a concept any of these races understand, I think). You can them hit them with "regular" non-humans, who behave completely differentely.

Have fun !

I'm going to assume you mean "show the heroes an example of each elder race to show them how weird they are."

This is how My Game Varies. Not canon.