One session per season...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:21:32 -0000

> Game time - not real time. Pretty easy. We play every other
> week and there's a lot of farming, herding and praying to do,
> which goes by pretty quick. Usually one session (or less)
> per season - except if it is a really busy year (like 1613).

This sounds like a style of playing I've never encountered, and I'm intrigued. How do you even squash one "scenario", much less an entire season, into one session? Do you simply not bother with the nitty-gritty detail of IC conversations, fights, trying to get those pesky sheep you just liberated back to your own tula, and so on? I've read a few of your chronicles, and always assumed it was a highly condensed version of what happened with most of the "flavour" left out, but maybe not?

Just thinking as an example about an encounter my Narrator and I did by a Chat session the other night - we've just arrived in a new land, my spiritist scout is taking a look at our proposed camp site to see what spirits might be around. And it turns out to be a Humakti burial mound, complete with bound protectors.

We did simple contests and much IC deliberation for initially spotting the spirits were there, deciding to open the spirit world for a chat with them, freeing a fetish spirit to give me a better chance of doing that, the ritual to improve my chances even more, and so on. Then the conversation was all IC: we considered at least looking at her diplomacy skills and rolling but decided it was easier to go with pure roleplay and GM steering. It took about two hours.

How would that have worked out in one of your games?

(And if people want to tell me we totally misunderstood spirits, ghosts and Humakti, I suggest we take that to another thread).