Re: Making players afraid for their characters

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:41:13 -0000

Interesting thoughts from various people on the danger factor. Mike makes the useful distinction between fear of losing the character and of the character losing something valuable. (He once did a total party kill with a weasel so I'm not sure we should trust him ;-) )

Is developing character failure as an option which is interesting/fun for the player *ever* going to be compatible with such a fear factor? It strikes me that they are mutually exclusive unless one can have that fear incorporated within the interesting failure - but it's not the visceral fear Simon and others may be missing. (Perhaps they should adopt more extreme sports.)

Is that clear as mud?

Perhaps the useful question is...does HQ give you a white knuckle ride? If so, when, if not, why not?

Sam.