Re: Glorantha Online & Glorantha Offline

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_Xu5N2eevHE6PiomNRAyAiDtYStTKXfrv0Mp_pocRG0cCWclrkOd2QHPzHaA0DIiy>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:58:53 +1100

I understand there is a pc game getting some development work, but whether it will be online is another matter. (And as always in such cases, whether it will ever *appear* is another matter. A failure rate of around 70 % must be pretty much the industry standard) And to be fair, Greg these days is a solitary individual, with plenty of private concerns to keep him busy.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with Gloranthan 'offline' gaming. The publishing silence is complete, and even Jeff has stopped announcing SMJR vapourware. If things were grim two years ago, now they're as bad as they ever have been, or at least since the early nineties. And the rather clumsy attempts to centralise power and authority have seen a lot of community creativity drifting away over the last three or four years. In the early nineties at least we had RMM and the Digest, and people were actively expanding Greg's vision and rendering it playable. There was humour and emotion in Gloranthan writing, and we had an open gaming ethic that didn't depend on poo faced 'official' student essays and deep if unreadable (well at least unreadable) mythological treatises that seem to follow a cookie cutter patterning.

What hope, what hero? Fanzines. PDF publishing. Go Chaos Society. Go Hearts.

And if we ever build the community again, perhaps we can face the biggest challenge of all: Glorantha is dying under the weight of way too much low quality, poorly written background and an utter exhaustion of new ideas.

Discuss. Cuss. Whatever ....

Dimjim, son of Jimbob, son of Jimbruce the Flatulent

  with GAt 09:48 PM 28/02/2009, you wrote:
>Errr does anyone know if Greg or anyone is doing anything serious
>about Glorantha online gaming, or is it the usual "I've got my finger
>up my arse, and will only start to get involved in it it when it's
>far too late" crap ???

John Hughes
Publications Editor
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research College of Arts and Social Sciences
Hanna Neumann Building #21
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

T: +61 2 6125 0649
F: +61 2 6125 9730
W: www.anu.edu.au/caepr

CRICOS Provider #00120C

The CAEPR website has a large and growing electronic library of publications available
for free download, including Discussion Papers, Working Papers, Monographs and Topical Issues.