Re: Sources for Heortling justice.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 18:31:37 +1300

On 2/4/2013 11:16 AM, teeeterry wrote:

> Our heroes are Orlanthi Heortlings from central/eastern Heortland. They have traveled north outside their tribal area and are now around the border between Heorland and Sartar. Now they may be faced with criminal charges by local Orlanthi.
You'll have to specify what these "charges" are. Did they steal some cows and were caught? Did they beat up somebody well-liked and respected?

> They have no clan to support them. Any fines ( or weregelds but they have not killed anyone yet) cannot be paid by the clan since they are not here. Will the local clan send for someone in the hero's home clan?

What's to stop the heroes from paying the fines? Bear in mind, the heroes can refuse to accept the judgement of the Orlanthi in which case the fines will have to be collected by force? Does the local clan feel up to the task? Or will they look at the hero and say "too hard".

Secondly look at it from the point of view of the heroes clan. Some complete strangers show up one day demanding many cows in payment of a fine levied against the heroes. Would anybody actually pay up?

> Will the local clan simply treat them as outsiders? They are actually still in Heortland – does that make any difference? Or does the fact that they are still in the realm of the god king make a difference (the local clan may respect the king)?

Again it helps to be more specific. Your heroes are from Heortland. The current and wronged clan is where precisely? Under the rule of Lunar occupiers? A volsaxi clan recognizing only the High King at Whitewall? Or some clan that is part of the Holy Country?

--Peter Metcalfe