Re: Malia

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:57:23 EST

> From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
> I would like to trick my players into some Malia worship.

CHAOS! KILL HIM!
Seriously, things like this give Telmori their bad name, you know. :-)

> 1. Do Malia worshippers detect as chaotic ?

Malia Disease Masters, who spread it, surely do. Malians who just give propitiatory worship (ie, High Gods preserve Her and keep Her ... far away from us) to Her to prevent diseases might not, depending on various factors. Priestesses probably always would, even if they used their powers only at their DH or Carmanian noble's let, whereas propitiatory worshippers probably don't, except temporarily around the time of worship.

> 2. Does involunary worship of Malia taint you with chaos ?

If you mean accidental propitiatory worship, no. Worshipping her as Disease Bringer will taint one, and calling a spirit of disease will drive all the Uroxi crazy for miles around.

> It seems to me that Malia is no chaotic entity, because she is only
> associated with chaos where she is worshipped by broos (LoT p.27). And
> that she is primary a goddess of death and darkness. But I could be
> wrong.

You are over-simplifying as much as calling her always Chaotic, I think. For instance, the form of Her worship used by the degenerate Illuminants who flipped out Arkat on Brithos was certainly Chaotic, although I doubt that those worshippers were broos. Likewise, Muriah, the priestess in the Borderlands box, was certainly Chaotic without being a broo.