Re: Praxian clans

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:09:48 -0700

Brian Tickler

> Nobody I know has ever used the term "clan" to reference Praxians...

The Dragon Pass board game does so, if I recall correctly. I don't know how far back this goes, i.e. whether White Bear & Red Moon (the first incarnation of this same game) does this as well.

Several Praxian clans are mentioned in more recent sources, like Genertela and King of Sartar.

> it seems a poor term to describe a nomadic group

Well, it's an anthropological term, and may actually be more accurate with respect to Praxians than Orlanthi (since Orlanthi clans seem less strictly kin-based).

A clan is essentially everyone who believes they have a common ancestor, even if they may not be able to trace the exact descent.