RE: In a (Broo) Family Way

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:04:02 -0000

>Actually, I think the vow is to not harm a sentient creature
>(somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Would a broo larva be considered sentient? I don't think so, I think anyone in Orlanthi society who suggested that it was would be laughed out of town. I don't think any unborn child would be regarded as being a sentient, I don't think most CA would have a problem performing an abortion right up until term.

Does anyone have any info on how ancient cultures viewed this moral dilemma? I know the Romans extended abortion rights to somewhere around the 200th month after conception, but that's pushing the envelope a little.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.