Re: Poisons

From: Andreas Mueller <mueller_at_faw.uni-ulm.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:44:52 +0200

Hi,

first of all, many thanks for all the replies. The suggestion for getting Agrestis by foiling something that looks chaotic was the final approach of my group. (This was not the first time: Jarst Daro was executed by a mob of nomads, led by Stikklebrix, who were informed by my PCs about Jarsts possession of the (non-chaotic, but who cares) ball of tails ;-)

Nethertheless my initial poison-problem leads to a campaign-changing decision. I think the problem can be reduced to the following statements/problems:
1. Most poisons in the ancient world were slow. 2. The "damage in a melee round"-poisons are unrealistic (but maybe existing via magic)
3. Are slow poisons in any way efficient in a gloranthan civilisation? One Heal Body from a readily available healer, and the expensive poison was a mere nuisance.
4. If 3. is true, then the poison a gloranthan assassin would use, would result in instant death (probably magical) or in chronic damage and thus in loss of characteristic points (Appearance and Con being the most suitable).
5. Magical poisons could have to be enchanted, which would rise the costs extremly and the 6000 L would be reasonable.

Non-instant death-poisons are far cheaper, but also far less effective (at least in civilization). This could lead to an interesting distinction: Slow poisons are used for the hunt and more or less legal, but instant-death-poisons are highly illegal und their users subject to immediate termination.
Something different: I think it was false, to let Lanbril-Initiates do poisons. This would be more appropriate for Black Fangs. IMG I gave Black Fang a darkness connection and thus a connection to the trolls. For them, Gorakkiki-poisons would be relatively easy available.

Many greetings,

Andreas