Kitori

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:59:56 +0800

Joerg wrote:
>Do you think that the Second Age Kitori still lived on the Shadow
>Plateau?

        Some did, but mostly they lived elsewhere. Basically, the Second Age is the height of the OOOs political power, and the Kitori probably spread out as his agents (though very weak at the start of this period), with the Troll Woods being the centre of their power. When the OOO dies, they flee not just from the Shadow Plateau but from all across the OOOs dominions, to where they think the Pharoah cannot help them. The only place the Kitori survive as a tribe is the Troll Woods. This is speculative, because we don't know for sure the circumstances surrounding the founding of the modern tribe, though.

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>There's only two known peoples that fit the description and Greg
>has said the Arimites didn't replace the trolls.

        and now Greg has said it wasn't the Kitori (which never made much sense anyway). So it must be one of the unknown peoples.

> > Possibly they stayed in the project, but left after the Curse
>>of Kin? Or were betrayed at some other point?
>
>The Curse of kin wouldn't have affected them.

        But troll friends can hardly have been unaffected by its political implications.

>My view was that the Kings are the Queen's Lovers.

        My view is the implication of KOS pg 174, where his wife's lovers are incited by the King, is that the King is not one of his own wife's lovers, or at the very least has good reason to acknowledge and not object to their existence.

> I don't
>think for a barbarous tribe such as the Kitori that they
>would be satisfied with "symbolic" marriages.

        Troll culture uses symbolism at other points - I'm sure they understand the idea (and its possible the symbolic marriage is consummated, but not regularly or by preference).

> Methinks
>they doth protest too much when they claim not to practice
>miscegenation.

        Quite possibly.

	Cheers
		David