On the finer points of the vocal inflections of the Durulz

From: Stewart Stansfield <stewart_at_cynoscephalae.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:00:29 +0100

Dear all,

First off, aside from the general levels of humour which accompany posts = of this nature, this is meant to be serious. Well, kind of. Mostly.

I'm rather a newcomer to Glorantha, so please forgive the rather small = knowledge base, here (ironically, when I was one of those 'oh so = serious' roleplayers, one of the things that kept me away was the = ducks... but now I'm mature and sensible!)... but basically a couple of = us are doing a bit of work in setting up a Gloranthan campaign setting, = and were wondering about the inclusion, and proper development, of = Durulz communities. I understand that little has been published recently = on the Durulz; there may be a considerable amount of info in the = RuneQuest canon, but sadly a lot of that lies outside my ken.

I'd therefore appreciate any pointers or help that people can give me on = our fine feathered friends: be it directions to published works, or even = campaign ideas that people have instituted themselves. We're quite = rigorous in designing these things, so are looking for all manner of = info that could help us colour our Durulz communities. It's a lot easier = for people to laugh at them and treat them as a joke if they're just a = transparent comedy race. Sure funny is fine, and good for the game, but = we want to include communities and characters which/whom are a little = more appreciated. There, I managed to say that with a straight face.

For example, I understand that there are Durulz in the east, where they = are called Keets. And presumably these differ in some moderate way from = their cousins around the Upland Marshes. In designing Durulz, have any = pointers been taken from our real world ecology and species? Mallards = versus eiders?

Obviously, Durulz have arms, are bigger and can talk (after a fwashion). = Therefore definitions of, and differences between, real world = surface-feeding, bay, Merganser and stiff-tail breeds are not = necessarily going to apply to their Gloranthan counterparts. But they do = offer some design ideas.

The title is a point in question. Do all ducks 'quack'? Surprisingly, = not all do. For example, the Long-Tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) emits = a 'yodelling whistle'*.

For help in better roleplaying Durulz, check out the following link = (just navigate towards 'D' and 'Ducks'):

http://www.junglewalk.com/frames.asp

For a high pitched Sid James (Sir Sidney Rufffeather), I particularly = like:

http://www.junglewalk.com/popup.asp?type=3Da&AnimalAudioID=3D683

Beyond considerations of species, what about sex? Whoah!... not like = that! I mean differences between ducks and drakes? Male mallards possess = a rather nice dark green head. Which is a lot cooler than the first = image which players generally first jump to, which is Daffy or Donald.

Best wishes,

Stu.