Re: Re: Using Two Weapons? (again)

From: Jill and John Briquelet <Briquelet_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:09:52 -0700

Peter,

Believe me, I do understand your point, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that the weapon and armor ranks are unimportant, even at higher ability levels. Heck, if that is the case, why even augment weapons, abilities, or armor? Once again, I agree that we should avoid spoiling the fun of the game with needless complication, thus I decided to drop the complex modifiers to the Dual Wield skill. However, the internal consistency of the rules is not being maintained when you say that it doesn't matter if a character uses one sword or two. Again, if this were the case, the rules would not differentiate between using a shield and not using a shield in combat (I realize it is only a puny 1 point edge, but most of us are not Beatpot). I'm not sure how powerful your player's characters are in the game you run, but I can assure you that a few ranks and edges make a HUGE difference for our PCs. In fact, a character was literally saved from defeat recently by 1 edge worth of leather armor. Without  it, he would have fallen to 0 AP before his opponent. Furthermore, most of the people I know are not playing characters with 10W4 skills. Perhaps we are not playing powerful enough characters to overcome the need for the advantages in combat that various pieces of equipment can provide. Finally, if one really does outgrow the need for the meagre bonuses that weapons and armor provide, then why would Beatpot bother to pick up a cleaver at all when he was facing down the Lunar army? Why would Miyamoto Musashi use two swords in combat? Heck, why would anyone use a gun in times of war? I think you get my point, so I will not belabor it any longer. I simply assume we have a difference of opinion.

Respectfully,

John Briquelet

  John Briquelet:

>The aforementioned armor and weapon ranks are EXACTLY what I mean.

  There's a difference between how Hero Wars handles them and your   need (now dropped) to specify penalties based on offensive and   defensive stances. That was said in the light of your criticism   of us as not following the logic of the rules.

  Secondly I did make the point that the weapon and armour strike   ranks cease to become important at higher skill ratings. When   the hero becomes noteworthy, the rules will become a complication   at best and thus no fun anymore for the player anymore; if he uses   he's just wasting time whereas if he doesn't, then he's no different   from other fighters. Hence the suggestion that two-sword fighting   be best handled by having the hero _describe_ what he is doing with   his two swords, rather than overtly model it with rules. That way   as he gains in heroic stature, he still has the same scope for fun   in fighting with two swords as before.

  --Peter Metcalfe

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

  To Post a message, send it to: hw-rules_at_...   To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: hw-rules-unsubscribe_at_...   To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_....