Re[2]: Re: Skill improvement & meaning of masteries

From: stefan.drawert_at_...
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:36:11 +0100

Hallo,

Montag, 10:45:11, schrieb Benedict:

>|Benedict> Stacy Stroud wrote:

>> The thing I find most unbelievable about the BA leader-types is not
>> their highest values, but the fact that they apparently have whole keywords
>> at multiple-mastery levels...
Benedict> I think this is a serious flaw in BA. I hope subsequent publications
Benedict> do not repeat it. Aside from the simulationist argument, I think it
Benedict> is dramatically poor, since (as I have mentioned before) the
Benedict> resulting leaders almost always have some ability to pull out of the
Benedict> bag if a PC tries a clever use of one of their secondary abilities.
Benedict> The only way of taking on leader with the given abilities is to
Benedict> forget about developing a broad and interesting character and pour
Benedict> all your HPs into improving one ability (Close COmbat, say) and
Benedict> always using that. That makes for very dull contests.

here � have to disagree:
I always liked the idea that one short sentence like "heortling warrior, worships hedkoranth 2W2" is all a narrator needs to have a general idea of what this NPC is capable to do. more details are left to the narrator and personally I wouldn't give the NPC in question all abilities at the given value, but would adjust them the moment I need them the first time:

"ok, you met Farvor the Strong and now brawl with him...let's see-he's a warrior 5W, so he's got brawling, hmmm..., at 1w. *time, hits & kicks pass*... now that he has subdued all of you, you gonna try to appeal to his relationship to the clan, which is the same as yours, so he shows mercy. okay, relationship to clan, hmmm..., 7W, so let's see if anger is stronger than blood..."

so, IMHO, any given value doesn't necessarily mean that ALL values are at this level. see it as quick & dirty device to aid the GM, oh... NARRATOR, of course :)

--

 Stefan
 Montag, 11:17:45

.||| mailto: stefan.drawert_at_...
.||| visit: www.clubintakt.de
.||| 06:04:2002 -- Elin wird 2! & club in:Kamp - party