Re: Following the Leader....

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:18:29 -0000

> The problem appears to be (unless I have misunderstood Thunder
> Rebels) that although the Orlanthi can change fairly freely from
> initiation into one subcult to another, they do not have the same
> freedom of movement once they become a devotee...
>
> So do Young Orlanthi hoping to one day become Chief hold off from
> devoting into another cult?

To put it another way, I don't think devotees are generaly regarded as being suitable for the leadership of most clans. After all, they have chosen to make their loyalty to their god central to their lives, leaving less space for their loyalty to the clan as a whole. I don't mean they're percieved as less loyal to the clan per se, but they will be seen as being biased. There will be exceptions, of course. Some clans are heavily biased towards one god or another anyway, and so a devotee of that god may make a good leader, but will likely rely on the leadership characteristics of that god.

> Are retiring or deposed Clan Chiefs visited by Dar's agents of
> reprisal as they become ineligible for their devotee status?

I don't think Clan Chiefs are required to be Devotees, but if they are then yes, I would expect them to suffer the consequences if they lose that status. How many of them do you think will retire voluntarily, if they have invested so much personal capital in their status?

> Or is Dar recognised as some sort of "Special case"?

I don't see why.

Simon Hibbs