Common magic.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 19:31:41 +0100 (BST)

RR:
> There's no "e" in Rory...

There's no "o" or "y" in Ruiri either, but do you hear me complaining? ;-) (This could be whisky and wergeld all over again...)

> At Tentacles Greg discussed "Common Magic", a low-level set of magical
> abilities (you get to choose a certain number of
> spirits/grimoires/affinities, mix-and-match what you like). If you want to
> progress in the magical system of your choice/of your homeland, then you
> basically need to give up more and more of your Common Magic.

So does this correspond to what Greg was previously calling "Communal worship", in the theistic case? So you'd get a certain amount of "broad but shallow" magic from being initiated into adulthood/the religion (Orlanth&Ernalda, Yelm, blah), and then lose some of that as you undergo "deeper" initiations?

Or is it something yet broader? Magic you can learn without subscribing to any reiligion or "system" as such?

Cheers,
Alex.