Re: Maximum improv penalty

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...> <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:33:09 -0000

> However, -20 is not really a very large modifier. The difference
between
> a Tribal X (e.g. Tribal Champion) and Clan X (e.g. Clan Lawspeaker)
is
> about 20, so a -20 penalty moves a contestant only one notch down
the
> heroic hierarchy. As Tribal Xs often interact with Clan Xs,
penalties
> greater than -20 are important.

I agree with Benedict. When your characetr's abilities are in the single mastery area a -20 penalty looks like a lot, but when they're in the 2 mastery zone it becomes less crippling and actualy quite manageable.

In fact even a -20 penalty can often be largely mitigated by some creative augmenting. As a narrator I tend to hand out what at first seem quite harsh improv modifiers of -5 or -10 when the rules suggest penalties around half that, but when you take into account augments it's actualy quite realistic and gives the game a texture that pettyfogging modifiers of -1 or -2 can't.

Simon Hibbs