Re: Equipment

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:18:40 +0100

Alexandre :

> Re: Equipment, edges etc. I like the way Pendragon scales everything
> on the basic character (the knight).

Most games do the same thing, but given that in Glorantha you can play a duck, a runner, or a trollkin, I think it's best to scale everything from the weakest possible player character upwards, so that playing those characters requires no special rules..

> Given that in Glorantha it seems
> that everyone can, and usually will, use at least a spear and a
> shield, and wear at least leather armor,

I don't think that's accurate.

Healers, politicians, many magicians, certain martial artists, pickpockets, etc etc have no such thing.

Not to mention non-humans ...

> it would be sensible to set
> that equipment's bonuses to 0, and start from there. So
> spear/axe/sword/... 0, long spear/pole axe/ great sword/... +1 (or
> whatever), dagger -1 and so on. The same for armor, of course.

I think that naked and weaponless is a more sensible place to set a value of 0.

Julian Lord