Re: Re: HQ Common Magic question

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:36:34 +0100

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:38:42PM -0400, Dave Camoirano wrote:
> I agree here but would be more likely to suggest to the player to
> take "Fly" as an ability in character creation since there are Orlanthi
> who can fly naturally.

Certainly true, but it'd seem a little odd to have to make _every_ Vanganthi PC (he says, as if the cupboards are stuffed with 'em) take an 'outside' ability just to be any fun to play. And if you allow non-Vanganthi to do so, it rather undercuts the special nature of the cult, right? The suggestion of making it a 'bundled' ability makes a certain amount of sense, though it still seem a little awkward to rationalise.

Is HQ going to clarify the status of such magics at all? It doesn't seem as if people who can 'naturally' fly, or shapechange into alynxes (as with a PC in the previous game I ran) do so with Common Magic, on the basis of the filtered descriptions of same I've seen; presumably they're still 'stand-alone feats' (etc), if one cares to ratioanlise them at all.

Rules hack: perhaps initiates, or at least, initiates of some cults, might be allowed _one_ feat per affinity? Perhaps this amounts to make the same thing as RR's suggestion, with somewhat different terminology.

Cheers,
Alex.