Re: [hw-rules]guns and edges

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:33:41 EDT

In einer eMail vom 11.06.03 19:54:26 (MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerzeit schreibt david_at_...:

> 1. Guns should do a lot of "damage" without a whole lot of risk.

There are two points:
- when i thought about the gun problem i researched the internet a lot, and most scientific sources said that there is a lot of myth concerning guns and how much damage they do. For instance: instant death is rare. So i dont agree that firearms do so much more damage than other weapons (depending on your gameworld of course). I would suggest (all "conversions"from Cthulhu Now"):

Pistols:

0.22 short      Range:10m   Rank:1
0.38 Special        15m Rank:3
0.45 Automatic  15m Rank:4
0.357 Magnum    20m Rank:5
9mm Parabellum  20m Rank:3
0.44 Magnum     30m Rank:6

Rifles:

Garand M1 110m R:7

0.300 Winchester    120m    R:8
0.460 Weatherby 110m    R:11
0.17 Remington  160m    R:4

Submachineguns:

Uzi         40m R:3
Skorpion        20m R:2

Assault Rifles:

M16         130m    R:6
AK47            90m R:5
Galil           110m    R:7
AK74            120m    R:6

Barret Model 82 110m R:12

for automatic weapons, how about this:

every magazine gives you (bullets x rank/weaponedge) in APīs (so for an Uzi magazine of 30 bullets, you get 90Apīs) -if you hit, the weaponedge is only applied once (the first bullet hits for sure on a success, the rest is "determined" by the exchange).

In my view there are two factors how much damage a firearm does, how well you hit and how much bullets hit the target. So the bullets come from the gun (think of burst as a skill of the gun) and the precison from the gun wielder.

I m still wondering what the skillrating:*burst*/*automatic fire* of a weapon might be (that can be used to augment your attack)...

The other point is, that there is the kind of false consensus that spending a lot of Apīs equals a risky action. Taking a long time aiming for example is an action that has no big risk in it,generally speaking, but still calls for a high Ap bid I would say.
As James Hawkins said (Quote):

"Pedantically, I'd say APs represent:"
"1. Your capacity to act and take risks"
"2. How far your opponents are from their objective"

greets

Christian