Re: Magic Items and Secrets

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:10:56 +0000

[...]

>Suggestion 2: "rub salt into the wound" is a cliche
>for very good reason. Yes, it heals, BUT, it hurts. A
>lot. Over to others to suggest game mechanics for
>this.

One way would be to require some sort of "Resist Pain" roll to actually accept the treatment - I'd say instead of the usual roll for healing. You could even use the resistances for mundane healing, perhaps using only the 14 default resistance for "dying" characters on the grounds that they are too weak to resist much . (This idea would further weaken the item in that the effectiveness would depend on the abilities of the person being healed, rather than the Ability Rating for the Salt). It might leave nasty scars, too.

>Suggestion 4, fits almost any "item" case requiring a
>"but": yes, it works as described, but it's the
>property of someone who very much wants it back. They
>now think you're the one who stole it, and will send
>out various minions to recover it with extreme
>prejudice.

That was the one I was thinking of. If it was stolen from an Earth Goddess, as the name suggests (even Asrelia or Ty Kora Tek), there could be Babeester Gor Axe Maidens looking for it.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.