Re: Re: Narrator freebie

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:12:28 +0100

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:58:14PM +0100, Jane Williams wrote:
> > In these latter cases, I suspect the pattern might be a
> > little like the old medical saw of "see one, do one, teach
> > one". One participates in such a heroquest, but as 'chorus',
> > and then as a companion, witnessing the deity (and some
> > senior member of your religion embodying the role) accomplish
> > the feat in question. Then one does generic stuff to
> > 'estibalish one's identity" with the deity, and does it
> > again, as the protagonist.

> Now, how does one fit this to the situation of "right, anyone capable of
> learning a 'Fly <adverb>' feat, get over here. We learn it this morning
> and attack the Bat this afternoon."

Awkwardly. ;-) I think Mark has something of a point about the verisimilitude of doing this as a matter of political and military convenience, I must admit. Though the game being what it is, either the narrator or the players introducing the element of the PCs being fortuitously able and ready isn't unreasonable.

Other options I'm not sure about. There's something very "unFeatlike" about the 'cast the magic on someone else', unless the magic specifically tags itself that way. Equally, giving magical 'gifts', of a temporary or otherwise nature, is hardly unknown to the genre, but I'm far from clear how it work among the Heortlings. Are godar able to 'bestow' magic on people for a while? Can one form a band explicitly for the purpose, if one has a leader with multiple-masteries in the appropriate magic, say? (Hero Cult in the making?)

> > Game-mechanically, one might use
> > a more general magical ability, or relationship, or virtue,
> > at this point, rather than, as Jane says,
> > rolling-against-the-ability-you-don't-have-because-you're-questing-
> > to-get-it.
>
> Sounds like a good start. Use the "teacher's" ability score as an
> augment, perhaps?

Sounds like a plan. And all the Usual Ritual/HQy Suspects.

Cheers,
Alex.