Re: Vinga Dar magic?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:13:25 -0000

oops. curse you Yahoo! :~L

> Okay Rob, the example of a person doing a caretaker
> chieftain role was an example, and only one of many I
> could have given.

Granted. We were talking about the general principle of a woman becoming a Queen via Orlanth not Ernalda.

> How about:
>
> "The F**king Namoldings are raiding us continually...[snip]

Yup, agree with all that. WHich leads to,

> He also goes on to say:
>
> "The solution is to create A Vinga Dar proper, not
> just give her the Dar subcult, because thats been
> found wanting. Been found seriously wanting."
>
> It hasn't in my campaign, and I didn't have to stretch
> the rules that far either*. All the bits and bobs you
> need to create and lead a clan or tribe comes from the
> Dar subcult.

Me neither. In fact thats not the focus of games for me, and as Ben says later, only Devotee's are effective users of feats. Andrew points out that who says the things covered by the feats *have* to be done that way.

Also, I am guilty of not reading Thunder Rebels in detail enough. Mea culpa - you get the *important* things IMO under Dar.

> Another thought: Whats wrong with doing the a
> heroquest to gain the abilities you lack? That's the
> way theists learn feats and affinities anyway. Another
> example:

Yep. And maybe the clan/ tribe can effect the feats by performing the time honoured rituals/ Heroquest?

> Initiation into Dar means performing the "Orlanth
> forms the storm tribe" heroquest. Before a
> non-allfather initiate goes on this heroquest, he has
> to perform an "Orlanth becomes a father" heroquest in
> which, well bugger I, he earns an Allfather affinity.
>
> You may feel you need a Vinga/Heler/Humakt/"Uncle Tom
> Umath and all" Dar subcult of all the major deities,
> but if you can't be arsed doing that then there are
> other solutions.

I am becoming less enthralled by my original position on this!

> He goes on to say:
>
> "not a very elegant solution. Next we will have the
> female 'King' have a male proxy to cover the things
> she
> can't!!"
>
> I can't see where that logic comes from. I suggest
> someone be allowed to learn three feats and this leads
> to some sort of proxy rulership? Nah, it's completely
> confuesd me. I'd have said it's elegant in that (a) it
> requires absolutely no change to the rules and (b)
> doesn't require any change to what's in Thunder Rebels
> and Storm Tribe.

um, yeah. TR 232. Nuff said.

> Cheers,
>
> Ash