Substituting abilities

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:38:15 -0000

Hi

I was considering this today. Heroquest is a narrative based game, with the logic of heroic fiction and movies. Therefore, say you had a non combatant - say a steadwife, with a raw spear skill of 17. If she was defending her kids, and had, say, a Love Family of 10W, I think it would be logical, for that situation to use the Love Family as he primary skill, and augment with the spear skill. Thus, when defending her kids she is as good as a fully fledged thane in some respects. I find this appealing. Another example from Lord of the Rings (the book not the films) would be Sam Gamgee defending Frodo from Shelob. Sam has been spending points to boost his relationship to Frodo. In the contest against Shelob he uses his relationship to Frodo and augments with his sword skill. I like the logic of people being inspired to greatness by their relationships. I think you have to police it well so that it doesn't get abused.

I'm sure this nut has been cracked before. Anyone?

Regards
Rob