Re: What's in a keyword?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:02:20 -0600

>From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
>
>True. But it seems a waste to just re-write everything. The keyword is
>supposed to be shorthand.

I've always felt that the keyword was a package, not a shorthand.

>Very true. I had to constantly reign in my Nathic avenger Player, who kept
>thinking her Assassin covered everything. Now, if there was an established
>"Keywords have 20 abilities included" you could just switch them out to
>make
>specialties. But I think that defeats some of the purpose of Keywords as
>shorthand for anything you've forgotten.

Yeah, as I've said, I'd allow most abilities as long as I got some explanation with it. Note that I've felt this compulsion to limit as well, however, and I don't disagree with it. What I'd do, however, is simply charge a HP to have a new ability not on the base list. This way a player can add anything they want to add at any time, as long as they can pay for it. Does that mean that they don't have that ability if they don't pay for it in a situation where they could have used it? No, it means that this is the same as "forgetting" to augment with an ability in another situation. We really don't know if it's there or not, until a player says, "yes, it is there."

Mike