Re: Fighting with ghosts

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:10:46 +0000 (GMT)

> Don't say 'fight', say 'contest'; a crucial step that
> emphasiss that some kind a martial exchange is not the only
> option.

True. I still have a tendency to be stuck in the RQ days :)

> First, decide your objective in the contest. Second, describe
> what you want your character to try to do to achieve it. Third
> select an ability to use. Fourth, the Narrator applies
> penalties or bonuses depending on how suitable your selected
> ability is for performing the desired action.

Sadly, I am narrating so I need a feel for how this can be done before I can decide on how appropriate the players actions are. :)

> There are many ways for interacting with a ghost in a contest.
> * If the 'ghost' is substantial in any way, you can interact
> with in using any physical ability.

No these ghosts are insubstantial.

> * If is is at all intelligent, you can try talking with it.

They are the three ghosts in the Rainbow Mounds, and have a single intention: to turn any intruders into rock lizards.

> * If your character is at all religious, their religion might
> provide means for interacting with the ghost.

Nothing obvious.

> * And remember, running away is always an option.

They did that on their first encounter! They will have to deal with them sooner or later.

> In one contest, my Ty Kora Tek character used her 'More Dead
> than Alive' ability to interact with the ghost not as a
> wailing monster but as a visitor who REALLY needs a sit down,
> a nice cup of tea and a bit of a natter.

That gives me an idea. There is a Bevara devotee in the party she has the Prevent Anger feat. This should calm the ghosts down so that the party can get past. The others will just have to do their best to run through the cave hoping that they can dodge the ghosts.

Thanks for the inspiration. I must remember the Orlanthi tenant "There is always another way" :)

Gavain