Re: Looking for an unusual kind of game.

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:23:10 -0700

Chris

>I have honestly never run into back story being a huge problem in
>games of Runequest

I don't think I said it's a problem -- in HQ it doesn't help with the character sheet.

>I have to say that I don't understand the exact purpose of the
>categories, Flaws, Relationships, Personality, etc.

Then don't use them. HQ shows a few different ways to organize a character sheet, but the idea is, use whatever works for you. (We've also tried to keep the HQ2 character shorter than the HQ1 character, so sheet organization is less important.)

I suppose a backstory-focused way to do this could be to group things into something like Childhood, Captivity, Escape. As long as you can quickly find where you wrote down that ability, it doesn't matter. It's not like RQ where you get a bonus to all Agility skills.

>I can imagine but from the little of HQ2 that I have read, mostly
>just character creation, I am not certain about the way these
>element interact as a whole. I have a vague appreciation that they
>are used to resolve situations that arise and are expanded on over
>time all in a narrative fashion. Its time for me to read a little
>more.

Yes!

The idea is that everything on your sheet can be used to further (or in the case of flaws, hinder) a story goal.

She lands on the Alaskan shore. Night is falling. Does she use her social abilities to try to stay in the small town, or try to camp in the snow?

A Russian finds her camp. Does her hatred take over (and complicate the story), or does she cham him? Ko's backstory may help decide which choice she takes, but in game terms you use the abilities on the character sheet to resolve what happens.

As for the specifics of what the abilities are: you're the player, you get to pick! If you think it's important to have a lot of survival-related abilities, go for it. As GM I would caution you that this was supposed to be a post-singularity game, and my vision of the singularity won't give you a lot of opportunities to use those abilities in the story. But, players are resourceful, so I'd never veto this.

>I get the impression that continues iteration of this character
>would not be appreciated here in this rules forum. So I think I
>will send you my next attempt directly to your e-mail.

Please don't. You've gotten interesting answers from others. And I think everything has related to the HQ rules and how you describe a character with them.

--

David Dunham