Re: Werewolves Was: Zombies and Skeletons in exten ded contest

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:49:45 +0000

JEFFREY KYER wrote:
> Oh, and no -- silver or special weapons affecting weres is quite old.
> I suggest you look into the origins of the shapeshifter myths -- the
> bearsarks and wulfsarks of Norse myth are nigh-invlnerable unless you
> have the right weapon to hand (sort of like The Tick but less clever
> and more bad breath).

Nigh invulnerable is not the same as invulnerable. Beowulf can kill Grendel with his bear (sic) hands, but Unfereth's sword breaks when used against Grendel's mother.

Is that invulnerable, nigh invulnerable, or vulnerable only to magic weapons (forged by Weland himself, in that case)? It's not that clear. There seems to be a weak consensus that powerful mundane abilities are almost indistinguishable from magic, so I would be much more inclined to representing the toughness of werewolves using a large armour edge or a Resist Mundane Damage.

Certainly, we should be wary of translating other rules mechanics (RQ or D&D) into Hero Wars.