Augment questions

From: reinierd_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:34:10 -0000

OK, here goes first post. Apologies if this has been answered already; I've tried searching the archive but this hasn't worked well (reading 7000 messages not particularly efficient). Please just ignore or refer to relevant ms if redundant.

First, why is it only possible to augment an ability once with a mundane ability? Surely, a Terrifying 17W, Strong 2W2, Swift 18, Tough 3W2 chaos horror is worse than one that is just Strong 2W2??

I suppose this monster could augment it's attack and defense separetely, but it doesn't make sense to me that it can't have a massive offensive multiple-augment...

Also, why aren't "built-in" augments like Strong 2W2 instant? I can see how the level of the augmentation might vary ("Argh, relying too much on my strength and telegraphing my swings."), but it's not like you have to stop, concentrate and think about being strong or, especially, having Lightning Reflexes 10W.

Pedantic questions, yes, but I'm wondering if maybe there's some logic to these rules that I haven't spotted.

Thanks,

Reinier