Re: Just a quick question

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:01:21 -0000

Benedict wrote:

>-Few would deem that Close Combat merits such a penalty when
used to attack a dragon, so directly using a 'Dragonslayer Sword' ability (rather than using it as an augmentation) is unlikely to be advantageous (as the warrior is likely to have a larger Close Combat ability than Dragonslayer Sword ability).-<

Though augmentation is probably the way to go here - it might take an unrelated action to invoke the powers "By the power of Alakoring..." ;) As the hero begins to understand the powers better, so it becomes more powerful.

Jarec:

>-Just starting at or buying yourself to point 'B', even if only in
one respect, robs the opportunity to earn and appreciate the gains and have lots of fun along the way.-<

I think your vision is quite 'low-power', if that is what works for you fine, thought the rules are written for medium power - hence the sample character has a 'magic' item 'Sack of Black Winds 13' and a special skill 'Six Cuts Silk secret 13'. In a medium power setting the heroes are above normal, and have some unique ablilites. Our experience would be that unique abilities are what differentiate characters and make them enjoyable to play.

Consider Elric, early on he has less idea about the sword than at the end, but our character conception of Elric is ruined without Strombringer. Sure in a medium power setting Elric is bit tough, but you get the idea...

The other point is that we have not found that HW has a goodie factor in play, there is very little I want to get this cool power or item, or loot these guys for loads of treasure. Ability ratings have removed this kind of power up/treasure hunting play. I think we find it makes for more interesting motivation for character action play.

I introduced a magic sword into our game as a McGuffin. So far no one has wanted to spend a HP to stick it on their character sheet, I had no idea what it did, if a player had taken it we would have worked it out in play. However a character did take an Esrolian broach bought in a market (pure aside in an episode) as a named item. How will it be useful? Who knows? But by spending a HP to cement it the character gave himself the potential of foreshadowing some darker purpose to it. And, yes this is always with narrator agreement to ensure it does not 'get out of hand'.

I remember Robin posting on this list saying that you could spend a HP during a session to 'discover' an ability, we have used this a couple of times to round out character conception - he should be able to do that. In this as in items trust is important.I think Bruce posted along time ago that trust between players and narrator was vital to a good HW game and I would agree,

Ian Cooper