Re: Re: D'oh

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:42:14 -0800

> Well thats part of the point. In my opinion it is much easier to come
> up with scenarios than it is to come up with the material that would
> be found in the Imperial Lunar Handbook 2.

Issaries isn't switching around the publishing schedule just to piss people off, though it might seem that way. Their priorities (as Nick put it) are to produce good books about Glorantha. Now, Glorantha has *always* relied on freelance authorship.

Find how many supplements were actually written by "Company employees" - go ahead, I've got the time....
Not many!

So part of the prioritizing process is to focus on books that are ready at a certain time. Would you rather than the ILH be the next thing published (even if it takes another 9 months to get it printed), or that the next book in the line that *is* ready for printing be published first? Issaries, Inc. doesn't have in-house people writing these books that they can whip to write faster, instead they have one employee (who is keeping the whole thing going by *not* writing), and a whole bunch of people that have promised to write good, well-crafted, *true to Glorantha* material. That last point is important - if you write good, well crafted material that doesn't pass Greg's filter, it won't get published (at least not by Issaries). I've worked the RPG publishing field as a Line Developer, and getting *good* submissions isn't as easy as you might think.

Would I like to see ILH2 come out? You bet I would! It should have been out long ago, and so should the Book of the West, and the Book of the East, and The Book of the Sea, etc. etc. etc. But Issaries has limited resources, and can't produce 64-page books in a steady 1-per-month stream. It doesn't have staff writers that are given assignments and deadlines and woe betide them if they don't write to the subject on time.

RR
- Richelieu