Re: "What's important" - differing play styles

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:15:12 -0000

> And that sounds as if you'd have a contest, complete
> with augments, for something that you *didn't* think
> was important?

This is probably an artifact of face-to-face gaming, but in Seattle Farmers we don't usually insist that players extemporize descriptions of how they are augmenting, even in important contests. As the chronicler in our Umathela game (narrated by David Dunham), I sometimes insert this kind of information when I have time, but I don't usually have time -- I want to play.

However, in David's game, we are experimenting with a compromise: To use a Hero Point bump, the player must describe what additional effort or edge the character is employing.

For example: Once we were on a sea voyage and trying to catch some pirates for a well-deserved beating. I spent a Hero Point to help the ship catch them. I described how the rowers increased their efforts, smiling, as they watched the party's combat monster put on his gear and saddle up his horse, Duet of Death, for a leap onto the pirate ship -- a tactic the rowers had seem him use successfully in the past.

These kinds of incidents happen relatively rarely in our games. Apart from the fact that the games are face-to-face, we often cover quite a bit of Gloranthan time in a four-hour session. Last night's Umathela game (which is actually taking place in Maniria, at the moment) covered four seasons.

Rob