Re: Re: Enchanting?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:24:58 GMT

In message <20070320194450.6746.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>--- Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
>wrote:
>
>> A quick scan through ST and TR gives the following
>> list of Enchanting rituals
>>
>> Orlanth Adventurous: Enchant Silver Ritual
>> Daylanus the Conquering Wind: Enchant Tin Ritual
>> Hedkoranth the Thunder Slinger: Enchant Thunderstone
>> Ritual
>> Vingkot Champion: Enchant Iron Ritual
>> Babeester Gor: Enchant Copper ritual & Enchant Iron
>> Ritual
>> Inginew Redson: Enchant Bronze, Enchant Iron,
>> Enchant Silver, Imbue Sword With Magic
>
>Thanks: nice list! Looks like if you're in Orlanthi
>society, finding someone who can enchant your rune
>metal isn't impossible, but won't be all that easy,
>either. Which is as it should be.

One problem with it though, only an obscure subcult of Humakt can enchant bronze. It's easier to find someone to enchant iron. Given that many clans have only a single smith, even if we allow Inginew to be a subcult of Gustbran as well as Humakt you are talking about maybe one person in an entire tribe. I suspect Gustbran should also have Enchant Bronze as a feat. Even then the smith won't necessarily have time to do the work for you what with armour for the warband and tools for the farmer.

>What are Thunderstones made of, do we know? This
>sounds to me more like the equivalent of the "Imbue
>Sword With Magic" feat - it makes Thunderstones out of
>whatever materials may be available.

Flint and Orlanth's heart (TR. pg 240). As flint is probably not an ideal material for slingshot the enchantment works the same way as the others.

>> Perhaps these feats are required
>> to actually create items from the metal etc. So to
>> make a copper axe for a Babs G warrior the redsmith
>> needs both his own ability plus the Enchant Copper
>> Ritual.
>
>No, I think requiring the magic for "normal" use is
>overdoing it. If you want a copper pot, you heat metal
>and bash it. Adding the feat would produce a better
>pot, but you can't limit normal bronze-smithing to
>Inginew, for instance. You'd just go to him if you
>wanted a cooking pot that was going to house the new
>protective Guardian for your household.

Personally I see creating an enchanted metal item requires both a smith and an appropriate cultist working together. So to get her enchanted copper axe the Babs follower has to find a smith who'll work with her....time for a visit to Esrolia.

Interestingly all Gustbran's magic is to do with working Bronze. Does that mean anyone can learn metalworking skills or do redsmiths generally work other metals without magic?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/