Re: A Suggestion On Process & Progress

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 05:38:18 -0000

How irritating - I was about 95% done on a long post and then my machine crashed! Curses.

Let me summarize my previous post: John this is great and I am glad you are putting this together. This is familiar territory for me - Joerg and I had a discussion much like this many years ago. Although I now think that we were wrong both in spirit and detail about Broyan and Whitewall, we came up with some cool ideas. Hopefully we can come up with cooler ideas this time.

A few specific issues:

> I'm by no means an expert on the Heortland background, but it seems
> lot of it is already out there, on Joerg's site and in some of the
> discussions. Maybe some summary links is all we need for now, and
> some brief notes about greggings?

As I said, I think that the material Joerg and I came up with in 1996 turned out to be wrong in some very important and significant details. For instance, Greg pretty much vetoed much of our backhistory of Broyan (hero of Knight Fort). The Kitori are significantly different from what I thought they were. And so on.

Nonetheless, we need to put together some good Heortland background, and some history of the Volsaxar, Whitewall and Broyan.

A good starting place is DP:LoT:

"Whitewall is an ancient fortress that never became a proper city. It sits atop a high plateau of white stone, which the builders used to make the city's walls. The early Hendriki kings lived there, but their descendents moved away because of its difficult access. Centuries later High King Hardrand the Green took up residence again to resist the Pharoah and the king of Heortland, and afterwards the high kings of the Volsaxar ruled from there."

"Volsax was a great leader at the Dawn, and became chieftain of all the people in this valley. Years later, his clan became the chieftain clan of a tribe, and their tribal territories were much larger than this vale. Other clans live in the valley now too, but its name has remained unchanged. Volsaxiland contains many famous sites, including Orlanth's Lone Rock. Orlanth stuck a thunderstone in the ground here on night, and now the Night Jumpers begin all their raids from it."

Whitewall came up in my Dawn Age discussions with Greg. I think that it was Seriasdara - the home of the Garanvuli Vingkotling Star Tribe. Serias was the lover of Garan, a Vingkotling hero who followed his lord into the Sky to fight the Fire Tribe and became a Star Captain (or whatever the term is). When the Great Darkness came, Serias and her people were doomed. Garan saw his lover's plight and came down from the Sky to protect her and her people. He protected and guided them through the Darkness. At the Dawn, the Garanvuli were known as the "Hero Tribe" of the Heortlings and later became the Hendriki.

> We may get some of the SR stats people interested. Greg's reading
of
> the lists is pretty sporadic these days, but I've already got a
note
> from him about B and the Bat, so I'll do what I can to get him
> interested.

So what did Greg have to say?

> By way of declaring interests, I'm a dedicated Kallyri, like Jane.
> Having some Kallyr skeptics aboard is great, and it seems we have
at
> least one Lunar sympathiser. I'm sure there'll be more. :)

Count me a Kallyr skeptic. I am a follower of the Last Free King myself and want to promote him to his rightful place in the hall of Orlanthi heroes.

A good Lunar sympathizer - and someone who might give some insight into the magical framework they are operating under - is Martin Laurie. He also is a damn good military wargamer. Even if he hates John Keegan (for denegrating his hero Clauswitz).

Jeff