The Actor Game

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:49:08 -0000

Jane:
> For the final product, definitely. But as easy
> shorthand, for those of us who can't write or draw, if
> someone says "Broyan is Orlando Bloom" and I say "no,
> he's Brian Blessed", then a very quick Google tells us
> what stereotypes we're starting from. But only
> starting from.

Reading Jane's and Oliver's mail, and rereading my own original mail, I can see that I've not helped things here in the slightest. I'm not entirely sure why I phrased the mail in the way I did, but it seemed to be fine at the time. Jane's above idea runs parallel to how I *now* read it, and I agree that this could be very helpful as a base for description.

Unforuately that wasn't quite what I meant to suggest. :) What I actually wanted to *try* and do was play around with a reversal of process. Rather than say "here's Kallyr, what cinematic references can we use to describe her?" it was to say "here's some intriguing cinematic references, I wonder how they could help spark ideas for Whitewall?" This was what Jane did with Orlando Bloom. There was some following of this, but I don't think I was clear.

Our characters we create are all based in a variety of popular, artistic and literary analogues; this was taking one a highly visual and evocative one (cinema or TV) and seeding with ideas from it. e.g. Would Wilfrid Brambell (of Steptoe & Son fame) make a good Sartarite?

Yes I know my original mail says bugger all along those lines. I'm sorry, but irrespective of that, that's honestly what I meant to get across when I wrote it. :)

Apologies for misleading Oliver, Jane and Jeff a little,

Stu.