Re: Deep, not popular

From: Paul King <paul_at_W_qByhOe1-DdAahHikb-FOzc4JTAxs0yK01X7MwAKsJfKzATObyqXxE6DWP2c_vtBLpfTRl>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:20:41 +0100

To a great extent I agree with Juha and Roger.

I do recognise that sometimes change is desirable and can bring about a deeper and richer world. But I see nothing at present to convince me that this change is one of these. If you're making significant changes to Gloranthan background then I think that we do need to see some justification as to why it is a good thing. And this looks like quite a fundamental change to a well-detailed goddess.

I don't accept the explanation that this is "deeper background", less suitable for gaming as adequate since the deeper background is one of the attractions of Glorantha for gaming. And two divergent Gloranthas sounds like a recipe for confusion.

As described in Storm Tribe, the followers of Nandan are, at a mythic level, women. And in the same book followers of Vinga are women taking a warrror's path, and some masculine aspects, but also retaining some feminine aspects - and this is reflected in their dress. (For comparison the worshippers of Nandan dress entirely as women). A Vingan is still a woman.

So, while I can see a Vingan having an aversion to pregnancy and even some mythic danger in that condition I am not entirely happy about making it as strong as appears to be the case and even less happy about making Vinga a lesbian.

Indeed the general thrust seems to be to make Vinga more masculine, more "Orlanth in a dress", more a mirror image of Nandan. But why ? It's not desirable in itself - the lack of a clear underlying order is a strength - Gloranthan religion should be untidy, like real religions, especially when it involves a mixed bag like the Storm Tribe. Why not keep Vinga a "ladette" who wants to be "one of the boys" without entirely giving up her femininity ?