Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_Qjez140_bfYkAZEpceqATo2h9cJaHYnLL2RnwORHHV_deN9FAOAiIVhWHxLSXnd0P7H>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:19:19 -0000

> Also, FWIW, I don't particularly like the idea that only the young
> want super-powers - I rather enjoy super-powered characters from time
> to time and I do not think this is because I am childish or
> megalomanical in my outlook (although I could be wrong about the
> megalomania?).

I agree. I like good games, and it's not really defined by power level. I'm not terribly interested in stories about joe-average these days, especially in a setting like Glorantha that is about magic and sense-of-wonder.

I also like to play a superhero, but in a superhero setting where the challenges are appropriate. I wouldn't like to play superman, but an eighties x-men style game is very interesting.

Same goes for Glorantha. The guy running the Household of Death character isn't playing a superhero. He knows, for instance, that if he just marches into Delecti's Swamp he will be overwhelmed and killed. With his geasa food tastes like ash in his mouth, and when he "sleeps" he is actually training in the Land of the Dead.

A high power level, but the focus is on him as a tragic character. Internal struggles are what that game is about, as most external ones can just be glossed over.

  -Adept