Re: Is there two kinds of divine magic?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_k48KhXie28vzXz6wiDmQmQILTGGMqD-Jke9jlm7vMiHkqZylwqWMpZZQ6HU5nDlCdcVQZUL>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:12:49 -0800

YGWV   Valkoharja wrote:

> What do you guys think?

I'd like to address this. It is another case of something apparent to me not being stated clear in the rules.

I am, first, going to restate some of your comments in a different language.

> Continuing on my problem on the subject of gaining feats from allied
> deities...
>
> Feats, like we know, work by emulating your god. The closer your
> personal relationship and identification with the god, the more
> powerful your magic.

Deities are great, complex magical beings with many powers. We humans have those powers within us, and he more we are like our god, the easier we can access those powers.

> In addition to this, we have something which is a bit more
> remeniscient of the RQ runespells gained from assosiate cults.

The interrelationship of the members of the Pantheon means we can get help from any of them, just like we can get help from anyone in the clan.

> There
> is divine aid, and sacrificing directly to the other gods in the
> pantheon.

We can sacrifice to any of the deities of our pantheon and obtain a blessing.

> Even if I'm an initiate of Orlanth, I can sacrifice some
> grain to Issaries and ask for his protection on a journey. This seems
> very different. It sounds like I'm addressing Issaries and asking for
> his blessing, instead of trying to "be Issaries" and bless myself. I
> wonder if I've understood this correctly?

Yes you are.

> So, when the Esrolian Issariesi want's to have the leaping shield
> feat, how does it work?
>
> a) He joins as an assosiated initiate, sacrifices some time and
> resources (5% commitment?) and gains a single feat. This means that in
> addition to emulating, even being Issaries, he needs to be able to
> switch tracks, and "fight like Orlanth" when he needs his leaping
> shield feat.

It is not necessary to join another cult for TEMPORARY USE of a Feat.

For permanent, yes.

> b) There is a mechanism like that for getting divine aid, or asking
> for specific blessings. He isn't Orlanth, but rather is requesting his
> power in the fight. I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the theism
> or not.

Absolutely. Common done.

Think of when all the warriors pray to Orlanth or Urvairinus before a battle---even he Issaries an so on pray to the god who will help them the most.

Need to get those grasshoppers out of the field? Pray to Grasshopper-killer, of course. Give him some sacrifice. You (the community) direct the magic.

Etc.

> c) The myths for these assosiate cultists are such that they make it
> possible to wield a bit of Orlanth's power as Issaries. There is a
> story of how Issaries borrowed Orlanth's shield, and used it to defend
> himself. Having learned this myth, and gained the feat, the Issariesi
> can do the leaping shield feat. No doubt learning this feat requires
> cooperation with an orlanthi temple, and joining as an assosiate with
> that 5% commitment.

He could investigate and see if it was true, or even do it himself one time during a HQ (ie- "make the myth." More complex than just doing it once, but doing it once has to be the fist thing.)

Then he could activate that "Issaries part" of himself.

But this is, I think, part of the normal cult knowledge to know the tales.

HERE IS WHAT EVERYONE DOES When they are doing something they sacrifice to the entity that is most appropriate. They get a temporary use of that power. ("Temporary" could have a hundred variables to it.)

--
Greg Stafford
President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,