Runic Symbolism in Gloranthan Art and Culture.

From: continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_u6zkodWi9_mSrt_bMS1kn43m09PzoxG1twnHdcFQ5bZuo3iVrIJQqu16gDKVu6>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 11:24:42 -0000

So I was just considering how the runes, especially their shapes and forms, influence everyday items that Gloranthans use. Not just their sacred or cult relics but common tools, weapons, armour, implements, or clothes.

I am not talking about the crinkle-cut runes painted on but more the shape or form of the rune used in the design and function of the object in question. One example is the use of the Mastery Rune in the design of a crown. The crown will have three prongs denoting the Mastery Rune as the crown is the symbol of mastery of the wearer over their subjects. Though each crown will be made and constructed differently, a Heortling Tribal King's crown would look very different from a Dara Happan Emperor's crown, it would have the common feature of three prongs just like a Mastery Rune. Of course crowns would also differ as other runes may be used in their construction but the key thing is that they would three prongs and not four or five as that is the number of prongs on the Mastery Rune.

I am guessing that Ernaldans would use many implements that are square or cubes as the sacred Earth Rune is square. So their jewellery, head scarfs, hats, cloaks, and clothing would be square and not round or circular in shape as circles are more associated with Sun, Storm or Mobility Runes. Orlanthi men would have clothing and armour based on circles and round shapes as their key rune is circular in shape.

A Humakti would use a sword with hand guards as that would make the sword look more like a cross. Lunars use scimitars that look like a crescent moon. Yelmalions use large round shields that look like the round Sun.

Would a Heortling warrior use a square shield calling on the protection of the Earth or a round shield for the powers of Storm or Mobility? Would it be down to personal preference or more of a clan's traditional choice?

Darran