Re: Heroquesting to travel

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_Covl0CwFUL0bY60ggLXhI5atSqRlmxAM50GDswXCsl9yXUgNkcZHhfzdor7f5d3ijGrw>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:04:54 -0000

> > I also think a moonboat can fly you to the moon from Rinliddi, and
then you
> > can take another down to Glamour.
>
> This is physical travel, not at all the same as going through the Hero
> Plane.

I think what Chris is getting at is that in some cases physical travel becomes effectively indistinguishable from a heroquest. For example, if Finovan the Flyer flies to the Sky Dome itself (admittedly a mighty feat) he is in the Gods World and can interact with the sky gods just like in a heroquest. However, I think he crosses back into the mundane world at the same point he exited it - somewhere in the high Middle Air. Same thing for Darlarnste the White, who climbed up Kero Fin until he entered Orlanth's hall - he returned from the Otherworld the same way he entered.

With the moonboat case, the moonboat does not enter the Otherworld from Rinliddi but somewhere above Glamour (which is where the moon physically is). It exits the Otherworld above Glamour and can gently glide down from there.

Jeff